Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Things

Yesterday was fantasitc! It was the first day in Logan that actually felt like summer. I love the summer time in Logan. People are out and about and it seems there are always something to do. Logan Canyon is 5 minutes away from my house and there are loads of other canyons a short car ride away. There is simply no place like Logan.

To celebrate the frst day of summer Jamie and I put on the swim suits and hit up First Dam to catch some rays. Luckily for us we met Bill and John who let us join in their adventure of slack lining from bridge to bridge. It was quite the challenge-having to walk from bridge to bridge withouth falling in the water-which made me stop breathing for a few seconds because of the tempature of the water (another example of why life is NOT about the things that take your breath away...). Slack lining takes a ton of concentration, core muscles and balance. I didn't have what it took yesterday and hit the water. Maybe next time.

After our slack lining experience, the four of us played frisbee. Actually, there was an addition to our frisbee crew. Cheyanne (?), a little girl who couldn't have been above the age of 7, played too. I love kids!

As I was participating in the activies I couldn't help but notice the people around me. There were family reunions at the park, people who seemed to be out on dates, kayakers in the water, loads of fishers and cute little old people sitting on their chairs in the shade. Everyone seemed to want to enjoy the sunshine.

The thing that caught the attention of most of my thoughts was a woman who didn't look older than 30 who was walking with 2 canes, had an oxygen tank hung over one of her arms, and who was quite a bit overweight.

I found myself feeling sad for her. With every step I saw her take it seemed she was in pain. I wondered if she was in an accident or something-or if she had an illness-or if she just didn't take time to take care of herself. All three, in my opinion, are equally as sad.

I made (perhaps for the one millionth time) a silent commitment to take care of the body and mind I have. I am so glad that I was born with a capable mind and body. So, here is my challenge to myself and anyone else who chooses to except: take time to improve mind and body every day.


Perhaps the best part of my day...finding a lizard (on his owners shoulder) and got to hold him. Crazy!

4 comments:

Brittany said...

Crazy girl. Everyday is an adventure for you. I am quite jelous! I'm not sure I had any of those days! Love ya

Courtenay Beth said...

Chel sounds like a blast...and what the H are you wearing??? WOW...never thought i'de see the day.
Your bike looks rad, and curtis is HUGE!!! He loks like a young man, weird! He's so cute though, love that kid!
Is Nilso back yet?
What did you ever end up doing with your dogs?
Hope you're doing well, it seems we need to catch up!

Lamb Fam said...

In addition to Court's blog, I never thought I'd see the day either...

Becca Jo said...

Oh I always hated Logan in summer...well not everything just the old people that come in hordes and drive their cadillacs so slowly down main! :)