Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Highs and Lows

Soooooooo much to write about.

First, today I feel better. The last few days, maybe last few weeks I was feeling a little down-not like normal, happy go-lucky, always look on the bright side of things Chelsea.

There was a moment I even considered moving back to Utah. When that thought entered, I had to seriously take a look at where these thoughts/feelings were coming from to determine how seriously I should consider these ideas that would pop into my mind.

I miss my family. I miss my friends. I miss my house in Logan and my puppies that I had to give away. I miss the Utah bubble. I miss being around people who understand the Mormon religion-around people who I don't have to defend or debate the religion with. I miss my siblings. I realize I already said that I miss my family but I really miss my family.

But I am happy to say that my thought of moving home was merely a thought-that when I took time with Chelsea for Chelsea I determined where that idea came from. My health hasn't been great, my job is really changing, and although I have good friends here, I haven't had the time and experience with them that really creates lifelong lasting relationships. Sooo...all of this points to one thing...I am searching for something consistent in my life because there really isn't anything consistent right now...and the thing that is always and will always be consistent is my family and the love we have for each other.

Now lets update my readers on the happenings in Washington.

The weather is great! Around 80 degrees right now-and people complain that it's too hot. I laugh as I think about my days on the ropes course. 100-107 degrees all summer. And then I think of my brother in Arizona. HOT HOT HOT! I have been experiencing some of Washington's recreation lately. Over Memorial Day weekend I went camping. It was great. There was a group of about 25 girls who went. We went to Eastern Washington-it reminded me of Utah. Becka and I and a friend named Erica went kayaking last week. We went to Lake Union...I think (so many bodies of water-I get mixed up). We had a great view of the city-and looking at the city made my mind go crazy. Its interesting that somebody decided to build a city in a location that is literally surrounded by water. But whatever-it seems to work.

I am feeling a little more confident getting around but I still struggle. Finding an address without my GPS is nearly impossible. I don't know how people do it. I used to pride myself in my sense of direction and ability to get places but man oh man...not anymore. I feel lost 80% of the time.

Now to a low point in the last few weeks.
This is Shirley. She was involved in a hate crime a couple weeks ago. She was at a club in Seattle with some friends and when she went outside she was beaten by a big burly guy who kept telling her she should die because of her sexual orientation-while his friends circled up around them-not allowing anyone to help her.I had only met Shirley a few times before this happened and was introduced to the story from a mutual friend. When I heard about it, I wished there was something I could do to help. I was just contacted a few hours ago asking if I could write out my story and if I have any contacts to share Shirley's story with. Yes, yes and yes. I was told that the more people who know what happened, the better. I agree.

I have written about this before but let me touch on the topic again...

Why is it important that people live the same way we do. Why is it important that we all have the same ideas and beliefs. Why is it important that we love only the people who are like us?

I used to be a camp counselor. On Monday nights I would take my campers to Centry Rock. Before we got to the rock though I would tell them to go find something in nature that they thought was pretty. A rock, a leaf, a stick-anything they could carry. Then we would sit on the rock and watch the sunset. We would talk about how pretty it was. How perfect that moment on the rock with the sun setting and the sky turning every color of the rainbow was. Then we would discuss how boring it would be if every sunset, every tree, every rock, every leaf were the same.... and then the discussion would move to people-how boring the world would be if we were all the same. But sometimes we hate what is different. And I don't understand.

Yes, I can understand that people think that being gay is gross and I can understand that people might think its weird. But I cannot understand how someone could feel soo strongly about it-strong enough to want to kill-and yes...killing Shirley was the intention.

Most of my friends in Washington are gay. They are normal. They are just like me. Most battled with it for along time-wishing they weren't but realizing they couldn't fight who they were born to be. They are people who have dreams, who want families, who get soo sad with the fact they in society, they aren't normal-that they don't have the same rights as the person across the street because of the person they love. We are upstanding citizens-with good jobs and who like volunteering in the community. We love to laugh and have fun and we like doing silly things. When we get sad or happy we like to talk to our parents or siblings or best friends.

Maybe some of us have unusual haircuts and maybe some of us dress a little different. But once you look into our hearts and our minds, we really aren't that different. No, not different at all.

12 comments:

Erica said...

Oh my Gosh! The pictures of Shirley are the most awful thing I have seen in forever. I thought hate crimes only happened in say Cheyenne, Wyoming. Seattle? Did they catch the guy? He should go to jail forever.

Catherine said...

I am glad you are a leaf, and I am I twig, and Shirley is a rock... I like the variety too. Please tell Shirley that I am thinking and praying for her.

Wade and Taryn said...

I really liked your post! That is awful that somebody would do that. Why do those people think they are better then everyone else!!
p.s. I'm coming out there the 2nd weekend in Sept.

*Angie* said...

boo to the person who did that...how aweful! I wish shirley a good recovery.r

iMzOOL said...

wow. i am stunned that someone would do that. i will be praying for her. i miss you. i hope you are doing well. i wish i could go kayaking with you! one day...

Meg said...

Oh Ami that is so horrible! My heart just aches for your friend, and anyone whose been a victim like that. I don't know why people are so horrible to other people. I remember that you would do that on Century Rock with your campers. We are all different. Extremely different, but that doesn't matter! Each person should be able to live their lives the way that they want to. That was beautifully said Amazon.

Unknown said...

I love you Chel!! Seeing these pictures and story about your friend just makes me want to fight harder and harder!! I am sick of people saying that the gays are the only ones who are violent!! Pride is this weekend and I can't wait to show my support and love for all gays and everyone else who is different!!

Kaiti said...

I love you too Chel. Your mom posted your blog address on facebook and I am so glad she did so I could read it and see what an incredible and wise woman you have grown up to be. I have no words for what happened to Shirley. It's very scary to know that there are people out there that think they have a right to do that to someone. It's good that you are bringing attention to it. People need to stop and think about what they are doing and why they are doing it. You are the best Chel. You are perfect the way you are. Always have been and always will be.
Kaiti (Pugh) Thorell

Lamb Fam said...

HOLY CRAP!!! Why are people so retarded and mean?!
I love you, Chel! I'm so sorry you have to endure the things you do.
I love what everyone else has said in their comments. I want to say ditto to all of them.
I do want to emphasize, though, how much I love this post. I love it because it shows your true colors and it makes me miss my Chel. It shows balance, strength, love, and optimism. I love it! I miss you, too! I miss you so much!
Sorry I've been a slacker (kindof like you with sending pictures. haha)! I am sending a little something your way- don't get too excited- this weekend. And I will try to include everything you've requested.
Again, I love you soooooo much! Hopefully I'll get to see you soon.
And also, Shirley is certainly in my thoughts and prayers... as is the dude who inflicted this kind of pain (physical and emotional) on another human being. He probably needs more help than Shirley.

Nicole said...

Great Post Chelsea. I hope Shirley is getting better. I'll be praying for a quick recovery for her.

It's so great to see you doing so well after high school. We weren't close or anything (i did go to church with your family once a long long long long time ago), but i'm amazed at everything you have accomplished!

xoxo
Nicole Garcia

Trace said...

How can people think that beating someone to a pulp is okay and being gay is not? I am so sorry about your friend. I really don't understand why people feel the need to judge others.

Kristen said...

Love you Chel!!!!! I'm so sorry for what your friend suffered. Horrible! Unimaginable that someone could do something like that to ANYONE! Like Leesa said, So it's ok to try to KILL - but it's not ok to LOVE another human being - male or female? People are crazy!!! You are awesome and strong and I am proud of you!